Follow my rules

25 April 2006

Pimping. Or should that be pimpin'?

Possibly the best site I've seen all day: Pimp My Snack. Glorious, if not for the slightly nauseous.

More controversially, on to the heavy media coverage of Australia's first 'casualty' in Iraq - a soldier who managed to shoot himself whilst cleaning his gun.

Now, I know how to clean a gun. Funnily enough, the first thing you do is make sure there's no ammunition in it. Imagine that? I would've thought that, in the Army, they'd teach you such elementary things. Which is slightly worrying, given the much bigger guns they're also playing with.

What I don't get is why the TV and newspapers (okay, ABC and The Age) decided that was terribly important news. They've treated this bloke as though he'd died in battle when in fact he was simply the latest contender for a Darwin Award. It seems even more appalling to talk about 'Australia's Iraq casualty' on the eve of ANZAC day. It's not bloody Gallipoli, is it? It's not the bloody Kokoda trail. It's just sheer stupidity. Maybe that IS the Australian spirit.

I am apparently the only person saying this. Is everyone else too scared? If this had been an Irish/American solider the story would've featured in the Odd Spot.

ETA: Well bugger. Brendan Nelson's said the soldier wasn't cleaning his gun. On the other hand, it WAS loaded with live ammunition when it shouldn't have been.

And this, children, is why I am all in favour of gun control laws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home