Follow my rules

22 June 2006

After the gruelling - not to mention largely gruesome - experience of three exams in three days, I celebrated my freedom last night with...

A headache.

One could debate as to whether this constitutes an anti-climax or not.

I do however have a nice pile of books to enlighten and enrich my mind (and take my fingers away from that harsh mistress, the keyboard).

Today I read Maureen Dowd's Are Men Necessary? Obviously the title is rhetorical, because there's a very short answer to be given - shorter than 330 pages - if the question was literal.

Next: finishing off Brideshead Revisited, marching on to Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich: A Life Remembered, Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale (Blessed be lucid writing), Geoffrey Robertson's The Tyrannicide Brief, Buber's Between Man and Man and maybe, if I can rustle up a brain cell or two, some Adorno.

Thank god, says the atheist, there are other worlds readily accessible via a book.

Meanwhile, two good links for amusement.
Roll On Friday, for 'bored solicitors'. And bored law students, too!
Buglear Bate. A firm of solicitors with the by-line: Leases, transfers, conveyances, indentures, vesting assents: We love 'em.

2 Comments:

At 9:51 pm GMT+10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, you should always have a headache, or you aren't concentrating hard enough!!

That is some heavy reading. I'd let the brain fry die down before tackling that!!! Have a good break.

 
At 9:27 am GMT+10, Blogger The New Epicurean said...

After the corporations act I should think even Heidegger would be a relaxing experience!

Well, okay, maybe not even Heidegger...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home